North & West Gloucestershire Citizens Advice

The local CAB in Cheltenham, Forest of Dean, Gloucester and Tewkesbury


EU Settlement Scheme

If you are an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen living in the UK, you and your family members need to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme to ensure that you can continue living in the UK after Brexit.

All your non-UK family members, including children and dependent members who are non-EU citizens, will need to apply. If you already hold Indefinite Leave to Remain, you don’t need to apply but can if you want to. If you have Permanent Residency Status, you will still need to apply.

In Gloucestershire, Citizens Advice is partnering with Gloucestershire County Council and GARAS (Gloucestershire Action for Refugees and Asylum Seekers) to support people who need help to complete their application. We can help with information and advice, as well as practical support by providing access to the technology needed to complete the application.

How do I apply?
The EU Settlement Scheme is open to applications, and you will need to apply online. To apply, you will need to be living in the UK by 31 December 2020, and you will need:
• a valid identity card or passport
• your national insurance number if you have one
• an email address
• a phone number
Application guidance can be found on this Government webpage. Once you have read the guidance you can start your application here.

If you have lived in the UK for 5 continuous years or more, you will be eligible for settled status (indefinite leave to remain). If you have lived in the UK for less than 5 years, you will be eligible for pre-settled status (temporary leave to remain), which you can convert to ‘settled’ status once you have lived continuously in the UK for 5 years. Once EU/EEA/Swiss nationals have received your status it will be on-line (you will not receive a letter) and you can share it, when asked by an employer for example, through the home office website. Any family members who are not EU/EEA/Swiss nationals will receive a biometric card.

What support can I get?
We can advise and give information on applying to the EU Settlement Scheme including:
• What the EU Settlement Scheme is
• What criteria you need to meet
• How to make an application
• What documents you will need to apply
• What type of status you are eligible for
• Completing application forms

To get in touch with North and West Gloucestershire Citizens Advice, please email or phone 01452 527202 ext 262.

It is free to make an application to the EU Settlement Scheme, and support from Citizens Advice is provided at no cost.

Important Information
The deadline to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme is 30 June 2021.
If you do not apply to the scheme before 30 June 2021, you risk becoming an unlawful resident in the UK, and may lose your access to work and benefits, including the NHS.
If you live outside of Gloucestershire, please visit this Government webpage to find a local organisation to help with your application.